Thursday, 18 December 2008
Crail Parish East Neuk of Fife Scotland
Crail Parish, East Neuk of Fife, Scotland. " Crail is a parish and royal burgh, and a sea-port, the latter twenty six miles east from Kirkcaldy, and ten miles south-east from St Andrews. Its importance has greatly declined, and notwithstanding it possesses great capabilities as a port, it enjoys but very little trade; this, in some measure, may be ascribed to the inconvenience of its harbour, for it is eligibly situated. Its principal exports consist of grain and potatoes: the imports are chiefly coals. Sixteen vessels belong to the port. The town consists of two streets, and two or three lanes; of the former one is broad and spacious, containing some good houses, several of which are of that massive and antique description which indicate past wealth. Crail was erected into a royal burgh by Robert Bruce. In conjunction with St Andrews, Cupar Fife, the Anstruthers, Kilrenny and Pittenweem, it returns one member to parliament. The parish church, a free church, and an united presbyterian chapel, are the places of worship. The celebrated James Sharp, archbishop of St Andrews, was once minister of the church, and his handwriting is still to be seen in the session records." From Slater's Directory published 1852.
Tour Scotland, Small Group Tours Of Scotland, Ancestry Tours Of Scotland, Scottish Cooking Recipes, Scottish Folklore, Scottish Proverbs and Scottish Sayings, Scottish Surnames, Scottish Jokes, Coach Tours of Scotland, Ancestry Scotland Research, Tour Aberdeenshire Scotland, Tour Wigtownshire, Tour Scotland.